develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
March 28, 2018 11:04
Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
9FD6576F-02E0-483E-B57A-CAAD361BEE06@dijkmat.nl
> On 28 Mar 2018, at 12:36, Petr Pisar <ppisar@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2018-03-27, Elizabeth Mattijsen <liz@dijkmat.nl> wrote:
>> Perhaps a reference to the “forks” module on CPAN could be added?
> Which does not work either
> <https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=123248> (because of
> thread-safety fixes in File::Glob).

Way back when in 2002 / 2003, I had some free time on my hands and decided to see how I could use that to the advancement of Perl.  The 5.8.0 release was still in the works, and it had some fine new features.  One of them being ithreads.

Having always been very interested in executing stuff asynchronously / in parallel, I decided to cut my teeth into it, coming from having been exposed to pthreads in C.

This resulted in quite a number of Thread:: modules on CPAN [1].  When I finally found out *how* Perl ithreads were implemented, I was *very* disappointed.

Having become considered a bit of a “ithreads” wizard on PerlMonks at the time, I basically explained the situation *almost 15 years ago* [2]

Apart from bug fixes, I don’t think the situation since then has changed significantly.

So, back to the documentation issue.  Perhaps the “Performance considerations” paragraph from that post could serve as inspiration.

Liz

[1] https://metacpan.org/author/ELIZABETH
[2] http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=288022