develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
March 28, 2018 00:24
Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
CAHhgV8g1vNEdWcoh1X9d60gtaZ2oubJA04uif685+Br8ePhVSQ@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:20 AM, Karl Williamson
<public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
> I agree with the above.  And I really don't like 'not recommended' as I
> think it is too strong.  Maybe just list the problems

I think the main problem with the current wording is that it
discourages without explaining why. In particular it doesn't explain
that threads.pm does something different than what many people expect
it to do.

People expect it to be good for "share all the data" scenarios
(because pretty much anything else called threads is), even though it
is terrible at that. This confusion isn't helped by threads
implementations in commonly used implementations of languages
occupying the same niches as we do (e.g. cpython, Ruby MRI) sucking in
exactly the opposite way (they're good at sharing but useless at
actually being parallel).

It's not so much threads.pm that needs a big fat warnings, it's
threads::shared that does.

Leon