develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: 5.28.0 is pushed to May

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
March 26, 2018 11:39
Re: 5.28.0 is pushed to May
Message ID:
ca4e015b-95fd-e178-c2cb-6bfa81aa3246@pobox.com
On 03/26/2018 03:47 AM, Sawyer X wrote:

> On 03/24/2018 12:48 AM, James E Keenan wrote:

>>> I'm concerned that there isn't enough time after the PTS to
>>> incorporate whatever needs to be done in time for a May release
>>
>> Speaking from the perspective of someone who is only peripherally
>> involved in Perl Toolchain activity* but who is much more involved in
>> Perl 5 Porters activity ...
>>
>> I don't think the PTS participants should be focused on preparing for
>> an imminent Perl 5 production release.  They should be focusing on the
>> toolchain and its development over the next year or so.  Granted, part
>> of that toolchain ships with core, but most of it does not.  In any
>> event, if a PTS happens one month before a Perl 5 annual release, we
>> -- P5P -- should be deep into code freeze at that point, hence,
>> unaffected by whatever happens at PTS.
>
> This isn't the reason. The particular problem raised were with toolchain
> which will be affected by the Perl release. Think of a toolchain module
> (or a CPAN upstream river module) that is broken on blead. The extra
> time will help resolve it on CPAN before the release is out.

Okay, but in that case we should *already* be able to identify those
modules which are broken in blead *and* which are considered part of the
toolchain.  My own reading of the data (see
https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2018/03/msg250058.html)
suggests that while there are still *important* CPAN distributions in
other-than-PASS condition, those are not toolchain distributions per see
(Tim Bunce having updated Devel-NYTProf overnight).  Important
distributions which as of 5.27.10 are in non-PASS status appear to fall
into two categories:

* Distributions whose maintainers have not yet applied patches proposed
(including breakage in the previous dev cycle).

* Distributions that require external libraries, complex configuration
and are difficult (for me, at least) to test in an automated testing
environment (e.g., DBD::Pg and DBD::mysql).

My recollection of the reports coming out of previous toolchain
summits/QA hackathons has been that they have not focused on distros in
those two categories.  Is my recollection incorrect?

In short, I believe that it's P5P job to *repair* the current toolchain
to the extent that P5P harms it.  It's PTS's job to improve and extend
the toolchain.