develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 26, 2018 08:36
Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
20180326083620.GN3216@iabyn.com
On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 04:20:13PM -0700, Sergey Aleynikov via RT wrote:
> Threads in their current implementation are arguable a mistake. You
> loose ~30% of performance and who-measured-how-much memory by just using
> perl build with threads.

The test suite on blead on my system runs 17% slower under ithreads, but
that includes running a bunch of ithreads-only tests too. So I think 30%
is overstating it.

I'm not aware that a normal single-threaded process uses significantly
more memory under ithreads.

--
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you
take into account Hofstadter's Law.