develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: 5.28.0 is pushed to May

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
March 26, 2018 07:48
Re: 5.28.0 is pushed to May
Message ID:
eeb6c0a5-8a1b-63fa-e194-1c60fabb4f7f@gmail.com

On 03/24/2018 12:48 AM, James E Keenan wrote:
> On 03/23/2018 03:30 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:

>>> I have not heard myself the concerns about the May releases, so I
>>> don't know how much of it a problem it is to move releases more
>>> officially to May. If anyone has objections or concerns, let me know.
>>
>> I'm concerned that there isn't enough time after the PTS to
>> incorporate whatever needs to be done in time for a May release
>
> Speaking from the perspective of someone who is only peripherally
> involved in Perl Toolchain activity* but who is much more involved in
> Perl 5 Porters activity ...
>
> I don't think the PTS participants should be focused on preparing for
> an imminent Perl 5 production release.  They should be focusing on the
> toolchain and its development over the next year or so.  Granted, part
> of that toolchain ships with core, but most of it does not.  In any
> event, if a PTS happens one month before a Perl 5 annual release, we
> -- P5P -- should be deep into code freeze at that point, hence,
> unaffected by whatever happens at PTS.

This isn't the reason. The particular problem raised were with toolchain
which will be affected by the Perl release. Think of a toolchain module
(or a CPAN upstream river module) that is broken on blead. The extra
time will help resolve it on CPAN before the release is out.

> I do favor a month separation between PTS and Perl 5 release, for the
> same reason as I favor a month separation between Perl 5 release and
> TPC::NA, namely, some people are heavily involved on each side of each
> pair of events and they/we need time to breathe.

That's a good point, Jim.