develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

[perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Sergey Aleynikov via RT
Date:
March 25, 2018 23:20
Subject:
[perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-29735-1522020013-1161.133021-15-0@perl.org
On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 09:31:06 -0700, choroba@matfyz.cz wrote:
>      From time to time, we may mark language constructs and
>      features which we consider to have been mistakes as
>      discouraged.

Threads in their current implementation are arguable a mistake. You loose ~30% of performance and who-measured-how-much memory by just using perl build with threads. And most of XS CPAN is up to some degree threads-unsafe (pure-perl CPAN is safe, so the goals for threads is reached, but still).

>     Discouraged features aren't currently candidates
>      for removal, but we may later deprecate them if they're found
>      to stand in the way of a significant improvement to the Perl
>      core.

Threads are not going anywhere by this definition. Just discouraged.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open