develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation

From:
Dan Book
Date:
March 25, 2018 20:27
Re: [perl #133021] Removed the word "discouraged" from threads'documentation
Message ID:
CABMkAVWpRK_uwi_RtO-NOUkiyTkOKiEuk59fooAJHWMH1j7Orw@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM, E. Choroba <perlbug-followup@perl.org>
wrote:

> # New Ticket Created by  "E. Choroba"

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> The documentation of threads.pm says that perl threads are
> "discouraged". This causes lots of confusion, as the term is defined
> in perlpolicy in the following way:
>
>    discouraged
>         From time to time, we may mark language constructs and
>         features which we consider to have been mistakes as
>         discouraged. Discouraged features aren't currently candidates
>         for removal, but we may later deprecate them if they're found
>         to stand in the way of a significant improvement to the Perl
>         core.
>
> See also #125106, which seems to lead nowhere, maybe because it was
> too ambitious. This patch provides just the minimal change.
>
> See also http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=1107534 .

'not recommended' seems too lenient. 'strongly recommended against'?

-Dan