develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: 5.28.0 is pushed to May

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
March 23, 2018 21:48
Re: 5.28.0 is pushed to May
Message ID:
d4ae9a79-c390-b0b9-3464-e7452c85a8b7@pobox.com
On 03/23/2018 03:30 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:

>>> Would it be helpful for the Perl release schedule if, in general, we
>>> aimed to have the PTS in March, rather than April/May?
>>
>> I have not heard myself the concerns about the May releases, so I
>> don't know how much of it a problem it is to move releases more
>> officially to May. If anyone has objections or concerns, let me know.
>
> I'm concerned that there isn't enough time after the PTS to incorporate
> whatever needs to be done in time for a May release

Speaking from the perspective of someone who is only peripherally
involved in Perl Toolchain activity* but who is much more involved in
Perl 5 Porters activity ...

I don't think the PTS participants should be focused on preparing for an
imminent Perl 5 production release.  They should be focusing on the
toolchain and its development over the next year or so.  Granted, part
of that toolchain ships with core, but most of it does not.  In any
event, if a PTS happens one month before a Perl 5 annual release, we --
P5P -- should be deep into code freeze at that point, hence, unaffected
by whatever happens at PTS.

I do favor a month separation between PTS and Perl 5 release, for the
same reason as I favor a month separation between Perl 5 release and
TPC::NA, namely, some people are heavily involved on each side of each
pair of events and they/we need time to breathe.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

*I participated in the 2013 QA Hackathon in Lancaster, but that was as a
"self-pay" rather than as an invitee.