develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: RFC: Remove support for Ultrix?

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
March 20, 2018 20:01
Re: RFC: Remove support for Ultrix?
Message ID:
555cd468-c02c-2a56-60b0-49adab32f4ee@gmail.com

On 03/13/2018 08:05 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> There is some complicated code for Ultrix in locale.c that I've never
> been comfortable with.  Now I find that the last release of this OS
> was in 1995, and the last post in comp.lang.ultrix was in 2013 (ilmari
> checked that)
>
> I added this comment some years ago
>
> /* XXX This is to preserve old behavior for Ultrix
>  * when i==0, but I (khw) don't think that behavior makes much
>  * sense */
>

> I'd like to get rid of that, and from having to spend time on
> considering this special case when working with this file.
>
> I'm thinking we don't need to keep up support for this OS any longer.

If the OS is outdated and unsupported, it is possible (dare some might
say, likely) it won't build on new versions of Perl for other reasons. A
different problem, raised previously by Jim, I think, is that we have no
way of verifying it still works - and any outdated OS we also do not
have access to makes it doubly difficult to maintain the code for. If
the code in question is in the way, it's good reason to remove it.

Any objections?