develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2018

Re: RFC: Remove support for Ultrix?

From:
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Date:
March 14, 2018 17:32
Re: RFC: Remove support for Ultrix?
Message ID:
87tvtief6t.fsf@evledraar.gmail.com

On Tue, Mar 13 2018, Karl Williamson jotted:

> There is some complicated code for Ultrix in locale.c that I've never
> been comfortable with.  Now I find that the last release of this OS
> was in 1995, and the last post in comp.lang.ultrix was in 2013 (ilmari
> checked that)
>
> I added this comment some years ago
>
> /* XXX This is to preserve old behavior for Ultrix
>  * when i==0, but I (khw) don't think that behavior makes much
>  * sense */
>

> I'd like to get rid of that, and from having to spend time on
> considering this special case when working with this file.
>
> I'm thinking we don't need to keep up support for this OS any longer.

I agree, FWIW it's useful to sanity check these sorts of things against
some other highly portable thing, like git, which has never been ported
to ULTRIX, but does run on these currently:

    git.git $ grep ifeq.*uname_S config.mak.uname |grep -P -o '(?<=,)[^)]+'|sort
    AIX
    Darwin
    FreeBSD
    GNU