Re: [perl #132906] Devel::PPPort migration to dist/ is incomplete

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
February 28, 2018 15:08
Re: [perl #132906] Devel::PPPort migration to dist/ is incomplete
Message ID:
a5522296-401f-ad41-a40e-1707b1e38a31@gmail.com

On 02/26/2018 01:10 PM, Sawyer X via RT wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 10:48:58 -0800, randir wrote:
>> This is a bug report for perl from sergey.aleynikov@gmail.com,
>> generated with the help of perlbug 1.41 running under perl 5.27.9.

>> [Please describe your issue here]
>>
>> Since the commit [1], Devel::PPPort resides under dist/ which,
>> presumably, means that it's now blead-upstream. But there're some
>> things unchanged from the times when it was cpan-upstream:
>>
>> - CPAN still points to github [2] for both module's sources and bug
>> tracker
>> - there're 12 open issues and 5 pull requests pending
>> - P5P doesn't have upload permissions for it on CPAN
>>
>> What are the next steps to be taken? Who should take them?
> We need to determine what level of backwards compatibility Devel::PPPort provides. At the moment this i 5.3.x, which is hard to maintain (and provides little value consider toolchain doesn't support back to it).
>
> Then we need to transfer ownership (or at least comaint) to P5P so we could make releases. Then we would like to make sure we know how to test it and release it. The testing phase requires building the Perl versions and testing the code on all of them.
>
> We are waiting for mhx for the first item. We had little luck in reaching him so far.

I have spoken to mhx. He has added P5P as a PAUSE as firstcome, so we
can make new releases. We have also agreed on dropping support for
anything under 5.6.1, as noted in the thread.