Re: [perl #132760] Blead Breaks CPAN: YANICK/List-Lazy-0.3.0.tar.gz

February 27, 2018 11:49
Re: [perl #132760] Blead Breaks CPAN: YANICK/List-Lazy-0.3.0.tar.gz
Message ID:
Dave Mitchell <> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:27:18AM +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>> I plan to do the following two things shortly (assuming they prove
>> feasible):
>> 1) change the parser so that subs under 'use feature signatures' use
>> a different grammar rule than subs not under it - possibly by making the
>> toker return two different sub tokens, e.g. 'SUB' and a new 'SIGSUB'
>> token say, depending on whether the feature is in scope.
>> This will then help reduce confusing errors, e.g. this code with a syntax
>> error (attrs before prototype):
>>     no feature 'signatures';
>>     sub f :lvalue ($$@) { $x = 1 }
>> currently gives:
>>     Illegal character following sigil in a subroutine signature at
>>         ..., near "($"
>> It's parsing the ($$@) as a sub signature even though signatures aren't in
>> scope, so the error message is confusing.
>> 2) For the signature sub grammar rule, allow it to spot attributes
>> following a signature and croak with a meaningful error. Which is what the
>> OP requested.
> I've now done this and pushed as branch smoke-me/davem/sig_attr_croak.
> If there's a rough consensus, I'll merge it soon.

- ilmari
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in
  the mainstream press' sense at least.               - Matt McLeod
- That'd be because the content of a tweet is easier to condense down
  to a mainstream media article.                      - Calle Dybedahl