Re: [perl #132906] Devel::PPPort migration to dist/ is incomplete

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
February 26, 2018 11:24
Re: [perl #132906] Devel::PPPort migration to dist/ is incomplete
Message ID:
20180226122324.1f59e71a@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 03:10:06 -0800, "Sawyer X via RT"
<perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 10:48:58 -0800, randir wrote:
> > This is a bug report for perl from sergey.aleynikov@gmail.com,
> >
> > Since the commit [1], Devel::PPPort resides under dist/ which,
> > presumably, means that it's now blead-upstream. But there're some
> > things unchanged from the times when it was cpan-upstream:
> >
> > - CPAN still points to github [2] for both module's sources and
> >   bug tracker
> > - there're 12 open issues and 5 pull requests pending
> > - P5P doesn't have upload permissions for it on CPAN
> >
> > What are the next steps to be taken? Who should take them?
>
> We need to determine what level of backwards compatibility
> Devel::PPPort provides. At the moment this i 5.3.x, which is hard to
> maintain (and provides little value consider toolchain doesn't
> support back to it).

If Devel::PPPort raises its own major version number when minimum
support is raised to 5.6.1, I think everyone would understand. I
remember how much simpler my XS code got when removing 5.005 support.

@Peter, does that sound feasible, or do you still use 5.005 with
Devel::PPPort?

> Then we need to transfer ownership (or at least comaint) to P5P so we
> could make releases. Then we would like to make sure we know how to
> test it and release it. The testing phase requires building the Perl
> versions and testing the code on all of them.
>
> We are waiting for mhx for the first item. We had little luck in
> reaching him so far.

using perl5.00307 .. 5.27   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE