ExtUtils-MakeMaker: warnings during 'make test'

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
February 24, 2018 17:18
Subject:
ExtUtils-MakeMaker: warnings during 'make test'
Message ID:
aa98f411-e456-eca8-b47b-99cf54d826c5@pobox.com
ISTR that someone posted on #p5p the other day that, since
ExtUtils-MakeMaker-7.32 was merged into blead (commit
09a7143acf21dfa32d1eb4baef619ceb18c46d1f; Sat Feb 17 05:42:32 2018), we
were getting warnings like this when running 'make test' or 'make
test_harness':

#####
WARNING: Older versions of ExtUtils::MakeMaker may errantly install
README.pod as part of this distribution. It is recommended to avoid
using this path in CPAN modules.
#####

BingOS has since uploaded some devel versions of MakeMaker to CPAN.
Today I created the smoke-me/jkeenan/makemaker-7.32-problems branch in
which I ran:

#####
perl Porting/sync-with-cpan
--tarball=/tmp/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-7.33_02.tar.gz ExtUtils-MakeMaker
#####

... then ran 'make test'.  I can report that the warnings have been
cleared up from test files such as dist/IO/t/io_unix.t, but not from
test files in cpan/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/t/*.t.

YMMV.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan