Re: [perl #132561] miniperl segfault on blead (duplocale /S_my_nl_langinfo)

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
February 22, 2018 22:52
Re: [perl #132561] miniperl segfault on blead (duplocale /S_my_nl_langinfo)
Message ID:
d256bd7f-5707-05bf-2a5f-1f4d7c330117@khwilliamson.com
On 02/22/2018 03:18 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> On 02/22/2018 02:59 PM, Tony Cook wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 01:42:24PM -0800, Karl Williamson via RT wrote:
>>> So, this should have a hints file change for Linux, that says certain
>>> earlier versions should not use the Posix 2008 functions, even if
>>> they are present.  This is because they've been found to be buggy.
>>>
>>> The problem is I don't know what the cut-off version should be.  I
>>> know it works on 4.10, and it doesn't work on 2.6.24.  But what
>>> should the hints file use?  Suggestions for how to determine this are
>>> welcome. Or, if you have an example of it working on an earlier
>>> version than 4.10, post it, so that we can narrow it down.
>>>
>>> Given that there is no further reports of failure, I'm presuming
>>> nobody has an example of it failing after 2.6.24, and so I'm tempted
>>> to make that the cut-off, unless further information and/or
>>> suggestions are received
>>
>> It's more likely to depend on the glibc version than the kernel
>> version.
>>
>> Also, some Linux distributions use an alternate libc.
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Good points.
>
> However, the output in this ticket says that bram is using
>
> gnulibc_version='2.7'
>
> and that is failing; whereas I'm using
>
> gnulibc_version='2.24' on a much later Linux
>
> and it is working.  I don't understand.

I misread my version as 2.4; not 2.24, so it does make sense.  Anyway
does anyone have an earlier version of glibc where it does work than 2.24?