Re: Storable noisy STDERR output

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
February 19, 2018 23:22
Re: Storable noisy STDERR output
Message ID:
20180219232144.5g3rucagz7p2lqsh@mars.tony.develop-help.com
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 03:00:44PM +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> Perhaps in dist/Storable/stacksize it should invoke the likely-to-SEGV
> command using the list rather than string form of system(), so that a
> shell isn't invoked which will complain about a SEGV?

That has some complications

On Linux (and most POSIXish systems) at least, the invocation is
something like:

  ulimit -c 0 ; perl -I... -MStorable ...

To avoid that I'd need to probe for and expose setrlimit() and
RLIMIT_CORE *and* make BSD::Resource a dependency on CPAN releases,
and have stacksize switch between whichever is available.

I guess I could supress those messages by redirecting stderr, but
that's kind of hacky (and in the attached.)

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:39:12PM +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 03:00:44PM +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > On linux with bash at least, the Storable build process has started to
> > become exceeding noisy on STDERR, with many lines similar to
>
> Also, the output on STDOUT is a bit scary:
>
>     65000 failed, try less 32550 ...
>     32550 failed, try less 16325 ...
>     16325 failed, try less 8213 ...
>     8213 passed, try more 12269 ...
>
> If you see several lines saying 'failed' scrolling up the screen, you
> tend to panic. Also, it's not clear what they pertain to, especially
> for a parallel build. Maybe use something more like:
>
>     Storable: determining recursion limit: 65000 too big, try less 32550 ...
>     Storable: determining recursion limit: 8213 too small, try more 12269 ...

How about the attached?

Tony