Re: Moderation

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
February 13, 2018 13:49
Re: Moderation
Message ID:
f74d695b-0fb7-2579-ceec-2c08ac236fbf@rabbit.us
On 02/11/2018 09:04 AM, Sawyer X wrote:
> [Top-posted]

Apologies for breaking my silence. There is an ever-present piece of the
narrative being nonchalantly pushed around that simply can not be
allowed to stand.

Two non-controversial exhibits from way way way outside the chamber:

This is decidedly not abuse ( 5 secs ): https://youtu.be/15wtWkcv3VU?t=94
This also does not qualify: https://youtu.be/HaHwlSTqA7s?t=637

Yet:

~$ curl -sL
https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2018/02/msg249343.html
| grep -oiE 'abus\S*|assault|safety|bullying'
abuse
abuse,
safety
bullying
abuse
abusive
assault
assault
assault

Context: You assumed a highly visible public position from your
predecessor. You proceeded to make numerous, severe, userbase-affecting
mistakes and misstatements along the way, within an alarmingly short
time span. There is virtually no record of you taking a step back and
saying "I and the people I lead fucked up, we are going to remediate
this ASAP". Let alone a record of your doing so proactively, before
others point out that yet again the direction taken is very far from
ideal. The *LEAST* people stuck with this situation can ( and must ) do
is complain. Incessantly. Loudly.

Yes, all people did is complain. Nobody stalked you while you walked
home, your phone did not run off the hook, you have not received
unlabeled packages in the mail, no one sent you threatening messages in
the middle of the night. I even doubt anyone ever got threateningly "in
your face" in public spaces. You equating the suffering of your ego with
physical abuse, placing it anywhere near the same level as the
bodily-assault and stalking epidemic gripping our industry and wider
society... is sickening and demeaning to all survivors of such. I
implore you to drop this shameful line of argumentation and never bring
it up again.

And before the obligatory "we are all volunteers/hobbyists/whathaveyou"
line of defense comes up again, let me remind all participants in this
thread as a dev in similar shoes: You being not paid for doing any of
this does not matter. Your intentions do not matter. Your convictions do
not matter. The only thing that matters is your performance in the eyes
of users who were there long before you came along, and who do not even
know ( nor care about ) your names.

Beatings will continue until the service improves ( even if it means
changing who renders said service )

Cheers