Re: Moderation

From:
Andreas Koenig
Date:
February 9, 2018 06:19
Re: Moderation
Message ID:
87shaavg6k.fsf@k85.linux.bogus

 >> My fellow list members,
 >> Please note that, as of commit
 >> ef7498d2b69936a5c6476ecf1950066f638b2dac, the section of perlpolicy
 >> relating to the standards of conduct has been updated.

  > So how did the voting process go? I suppose there was one, and the
  > voting moderators are not shy to stand to their decisions, right?

Ping?

I have asked some more questions to some members of the community and
have received the feedback that they are worth being asked. And I was
told that I should provide some insights about how we could move forward
from here. I believe the questions themselves partially contain hints
about a way forward. It all depends on the reaction of the rest of the
community to determine which ways are reachable.

Before I present the questions, I ask the moderators for obvious reasons
to suspend moderation completely for the duration of this investigation.

That being out of the way, here they are:

 1. was the whole group of moderators informed about the state of
    the incident with Marc Lehmann's ban?
 2. was the whole group of moderators informed about the mail from
    former pumpkin Ricardo in which he said that he believes it was an
    accident and apologizes and is sure that this will be fixed quickly?
 3. was the whole group of moderators informed why the issue was not
    fixed quickly but was dragged on and on for over three weeks?
 4. since it was a pumpking who instigated the moderation team, do the
    moderators believe they should report to the pumpking or to
    perl5-porters? Or to nobody at all?
 5. what was the reason why it took so long to apologize and fix the ban
    settings?
 6. which moderators have access to the system that handles bans?
 7. who has access to the logs of the system?
 8. who has investigated, how the ban against Marc Lehmann was entered
    into the system? When and for how long was it entered by whom?
 9. have the other moderators been informed about the findings?
10. which safeguards have been considered and/or implemented to prevent
    that such accidents will not repeat?
11. when did the discussion about the changes to the moderation rules
    that lead to commit v5.27.8-10-gef7498d2b6 take place, who
    participated, who voted how?
12. where are the meeting minutes?
13. did anybody of the participants in the discussion come to the idea
    that changes to the rules would have to be discussed with and
    decided by the people on perl5-porters themselves and not by the
    moderators alone?
14. how do the moderators think about the idea that they might have to
    obey rules set up by the members of the community, not by
    themselves?
15. did nobody in the moderation team realize that the new rules might
    be perceived as authoritarian?
16. did nobody in the moderation team realize that the new rules might
    be perceived as: perl, the superglue of the internet now glueing the
    cylinder lock to lock members out forever?
17. who had the idea that the maximum penalty we have to have on
    perl5-porters needs to be indefinite? How long is indefinite
    compared to the age of the community? Compared to longest reign of a
    pumpking? Compared to the longest grant paid out by the perl
    foundation?
18. would you agree that the border between acceptable and unacceptable
    behaviour is not cast in stone and for this reason the moderation
    team might decide wrongly, at least occasionally? Which part of the
    moderation system would automatically correct such potentially wrong
    decisions?

While it may sound ungrateful when I present such a shitload of
questions, I'd like to let you know that I'd rather not have had to go
into this endavour. But it's not about my personal inclination when I
set up this catalogue. I hear the questions and I have to spell them out
because apparently nobody else does, while still they actually are
awaiting to be dealt with.

Take care,
--
andreas