[perl #132826] Report a Bug - Regex does not play well at 99,999.99number

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
February 8, 2018 15:04
Subject:
[perl #132826] Report a Bug - Regex does not play well at 99,999.99number
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-11974-1518102283-652.132826-15-0@perl.org
On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 14:56:29 GMT, zefram@fysh.org wrote:
> >I believe all the required data and difficulty are in these files.
>
> The output that you supply is patently not output from the program that
> you supply.  It's from some other version of that program.
>
> In any case, I can't see from the program or the output what you think
> is going wrong.  The program is doing much more than demonstrating the
> problem, and it would be a lot easier to understand what you're trying to
> draw attention to if you cut the program down, as James Keenan advised,
> to do nothing else than show the problem.  The preferred length for a
> program demonstrating a bug is one or two lines.
>
> In addition to a minimal program demonstrating the problem, we'd really
> like to have a plain English description of what problem you think
> you've found.  You should say exactly which operation on what input is
> producing the wrong result, and what result you expected.  Something along
> the lines of "the regexp /foo/ didn't match when applied to string 'bar',
> but I think it should match".
>
> You may have supplied some useful clue in that .docx file, but that's
> a proprietary file format that many of us can't read.  Please express
> your problem report in plain ASCII text.
>
> I have some suspicion that your problem is that your regexp matches
> two places in the string, and you wanted it to match the second place.
> The first match is always preferred, and it's not a bug that perl failed
> to read your mind.
>
> -zefram

Thanks for looking into this.  Yesterday I replied off list to the original poster guiding him to the section of 'perldoc perlbug' which describes our expectations for a bug report.  I also provided links to other Perl community resources for "Why is my program not giving me the results I expect?" questions.  (I also provided a solution to his regex question.)

So I think we can close this ticket not.

Thank you very much.
--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---