Re: [perl #132826] Report a Bug - Regex does not play well at99,999.99 number

From:
Zefram
Date:
February 8, 2018 14:56
Re: [perl #132826] Report a Bug - Regex does not play well at99,999.99 number
Message ID:
20180208145610.GL1696@fysh.org
>I believe all the required data and difficulty are in these files.

The output that you supply is patently not output from the program that
you supply.  It's from some other version of that program.

In any case, I can't see from the program or the output what you think
is going wrong.  The program is doing much more than demonstrating the
problem, and it would be a lot easier to understand what you're trying to
draw attention to if you cut the program down, as James Keenan advised,
to do nothing else than show the problem.  The preferred length for a
program demonstrating a bug is one or two lines.

In addition to a minimal program demonstrating the problem, we'd really
like to have a plain English description of what problem you think
you've found.  You should say exactly which operation on what input is
producing the wrong result, and what result you expected.  Something along
the lines of "the regexp /foo/ didn't match when applied to string 'bar',
but I think it should match".

You may have supplied some useful clue in that .docx file, but that's
a proprietary file format that many of us can't read.  Please express
your problem report in plain ASCII text.

I have some suspicion that your problem is that your regexp matches
two places in the string, and you wanted it to match the second place.
The first match is always preferred, and it's not a bug that perl failed
to read your mind.

-zefram