[perl #132810] Blead Breaks CPAN: KYZ/Test-MockCommand-0.03.tar.gz

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
February 5, 2018 02:09
Subject:
[perl #132810] Blead Breaks CPAN: KYZ/Test-MockCommand-0.03.tar.gz
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-25064-1517796550-963.132810-15-0@perl.org
On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 00:50:20 GMT, sprout wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 13:14:09 -0800, LeonT wrote:
> > This essentially changed the prototype of a keyword. I don't think
> > that sort of breaking change should happen without a proper
> > discussion
> > about it.
>
> But the previous behaviour would mess up the stack.  And readpipe’s
> own arguments would be evaluated in one context one time and another
> context another time.  That’s clearly a bug.
>
> > I don't mind breaking broken code, but I see to reason to break code
> > that had been working fine for 20+ years. It seems to me we can fix
> > this in less painful ways.
>
> Do you have a better suggestion?  If it is only one module that is
> affected, I think we should leave the fix in, as there is no logical,
> consistent way to make a core function that takes exactly one argument
> put that argument in list context.

Philosophically, I agree with Leon.  Empirically, however, I agree with Father C.  I used 'grep.cpan.me' to identify CPAN distros with the string 'readpipe'.  While I did not attempt to test all such distros, I did test a large subset thereof.  With prerequisites, 310 distros were installed.  While there were some FAILs, none appeared to have anything to do with 'readpipe'.

Thank you very much.
--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---