[perl #132810] Blead Breaks CPAN: KYZ/Test-MockCommand-0.03.tar.gz

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
February 5, 2018 00:50
Subject:
[perl #132810] Blead Breaks CPAN: KYZ/Test-MockCommand-0.03.tar.gz
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-16120-1517791820-460.132810-15-0@perl.org
On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 13:14:09 -0800, LeonT wrote:
> This essentially changed the prototype of a keyword. I don't think
> that sort of breaking change should happen without a proper discussion
> about it.

But the previous behaviour would mess up the stack.  And readpipe’s own arguments would be evaluated in one context one time and another context another time.  That’s clearly a bug.

> I don't mind breaking broken code, but I see to reason to break code
> that had been working fine for 20+ years. It seems to me we can fix
> this in less painful ways.

Do you have a better suggestion?  If it is only one module that is affected, I think we should leave the fix in, as there is no logical, consistent way to make a core function that takes exactly one argument put that argument in list context.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open