[perl #132802] Error when compiling perl on windows 8.1 inlib\unicore\mktables

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
February 3, 2018 15:45
Subject:
[perl #132802] Error when compiling perl on windows 8.1 inlib\unicore\mktables
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-4730-1517672727-634.132802-15-0@perl.org
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 14:52:13 GMT, maxpucci@virgilio.it wrote:
> Il Fri, 02 Feb 2018 15:42:25 -0800, jkeenan ha scritto:
> > On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 13:28:50 GMT, maxpucci@virgilio.it wrote:
> > > This is a bug report for perl from maxpucci@virgilio.it,
> > > generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.27.9.
> > >
> > > When I try to compile perl on windows 8.1 64bit with Microsoft
> > > visual
> > > studio 2015
> > > I have this error:
> > >
> > > Processing VerticalOrientation.txt
> > > Finishing processing Unicode properties
> > > Compiling Perl properties
> > > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0xff'
> > > Stop.
> > >
> > > Debugging mktables I found the error is on line 15397:
> > > $current_age->add_note("See also $in");
> > > Commenting this line perl compiles.
> >
> > Also, do you have any idea as to when you were last able to build
> > perl
> > successfully on this platform?
> >
> > If so, you could try bisecting with something like this (assuming you
> > knew that tag v5.27.4 built okay):
> > #####
> > perl Porting/bisect.pl --start=v5.27.4
> > #####
> >
> > Thank you very much.
>
> I've done a git reset --hard on the makefile I've used to build perl.
> Then I've created a new branch and rebuild perl again with, I think,
> the same modifications in the makefile. Now the compilation seems ok
> even though test fails. I don't know where the problem was, maybe in
> the makefile. I'm sorry if you loose time with me but it's my first
> time i build perl from source.

I've never tried to build perl from source on Windows, but I've been building perl from source on various Unix-ish platforms for years.  At no time have I ever had to tinker with the content of the makefile.  I've rarely had to peer into the content of 'makefile' or 'Makefile'.

Moreover, since the generated 'makefile' and 'Makefile' (on Linux, at least) are not under version control, I'm puzzled as to what effect 'git reset --hard' would have.

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---