[perl #132800] lib/unicore/mktables takes too long

From:
Sergey Aleynikov via RT
Date:
February 2, 2018 13:08
Subject:
[perl #132800] lib/unicore/mktables takes too long
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-31999-1517576906-1867.132800-15-0@perl.org
On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 17:20:00 -0800, jkeenan wrote:
> * there is more variation in timings between different 'make' runs for
> the same Perl version than there is between different Perl versions;

Yes, this depends on a machine load. My measurements have been taken during low-load times, so the were repeatable. What you've measured is only total build time, not what it constitutes of, but I'm focusing on the latter here.

>I focus on 'real' time because with bisection the clock time measures the time? I focus on 'real' time because with bisection the clock time measures the time a human is waiting for results.

For me, as a human, only real-world waiting time matters - as it's about how fast can I move on with doing different things.

> * if one machine is inherently faster than another (typically, more
> cores), then the percentage of total clock time taken up by

But why should we make building perl artificially slower? As of now, mktables step already taken half as much as Configure step, - I've shown this in my timings.

> * if you're running Porting/bisect.pl with the '--module' switch, the
> total time spent in building and testing prerequisites swamps that
> taken during 'make'.

That's not about --module, that's for example about bisecting fuzzer findings. And, again, not making perl build artificially slower.

>There was some of that in Unicode 10.

I don't want to be in a situation that, after some years and Unicode 20, mktables takes ages to complete due to standard being bloated. So I've raised this question sooner.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open