Re: [perl #132766] Recent changes to inline.h have broken VC6 buildon Windows

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
January 26, 2018 15:01
Re: [perl #132766] Recent changes to inline.h have broken VC6 buildon Windows
Message ID:
CA+vYcVxUvO4jHfz8e5dMYTBvgNhKRZPUbgnmD4sbeztxX5zpNA@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:00 AM, Steve Hay via perl5-porters
<perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:
> On 25 January 2018 at 23:22, Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

>> I feel that VC6 support is a liability.
>
> I personally agree, and have suggested dropping support before, but
> the idea didn't get agreement then, and I don't think much has changed
> since then to change things:
>
> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2013/09/msg207597.html

It seems to me that things *have* changed since then.  If we remove
VC6 today, another (almost) five years will have passed between that
discussion and the release of 5.28.  It's noble to support stuff the
vendor has long-since abandoned, but it's reasonable to ask "how
long?"

I didn't reread every message in that thread, but it seems to me it
boiled down to three items:

1.) ActiveState binaries are built with VC6 so it needs to be
supported.  But this is no longer true.
2.) You need to support VC6 to support developing on Windows XP.
Really?  People still running Windows XP in 2018 have far worse
problems than we can help them with by allowing them to build current
Perl releases.
3. You need VC6 to hack the Windows DLL model into an older, simpler
form that makes it easier to do certain kinds of low-level debugging.
I'm not sure I even understood that correctly, but why should *we*
support something that Microsoft has never supported and long-since
moved its toolchain in a different direction?

So I really don't see any reason to keep it, and removing it now does
not prevent people from tinkering with 5.26.x in obsolete environments
for as long as they want.