Re: [perl #132766] Recent changes to inline.h have broken VC6 buildon Windows

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
January 26, 2018 04:05
Re: [perl #132766] Recent changes to inline.h have broken VC6 buildon Windows
Message ID:
6fd49a7d-8d8a-ebca-a9a2-2cecfb04a118@khwilliamson.com
On 01/25/2018 07:30 PM, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 03:09:33 +0100

>>> Do we really want to keep supporting VC6? That compiler is 20 years old,
>>> it doesn't work on modern Windows versions and I believe it's the last
>>> version of MSVC without proper support of 64-bit integers.
>>>
>>> I feel that VC6 support is a liability.
>>
>> The question is really: do we want to keep supporting C89 (long long
>> is a C99ism).
>>
>> Leon
>
> Yeah, but it's an *extremely* common extension found in many non-C99
> compilers (including the later versions of Visual C++).

Nonetheless, until the project decides it won't support C89 anymore, we
have to fix bugs like this.

And that decision will take a while to make, and there must be some
deprecation cycles even if we decide to do it, and so this bug needs to
be fixed now.

If someone wants to propose requiring C99, it should be brought up on a
different thread.  My guess is that since we're still coping with the
fallout of requiring C89, it will not get a favorable consensus for the
time being.