Re: [perl #132766] Recent changes to inline.h have broken VC6 buildon Windows

From:
Tomasz Konojacki
Date:
January 26, 2018 02:30
Re: [perl #132766] Recent changes to inline.h have broken VC6 buildon Windows
Message ID:
20180126033009.B7CE.5C4F47F8@xenu.pl
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 03:09:33 +0100
Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:22 AM, Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:
> >
> >> It seems that VC6 doesn't understand the "ULL" suffixes on numbers in
> >> the chunk of new code in inline.h added by commit
> >> 1d2af5744d75143cf7ee8bfd33d4366a95dd1b95 ("Avoid some branches").
> >
> > Do we really want to keep supporting VC6? That compiler is 20 years old,
> > it doesn't work on modern Windows versions and I believe it's the last
> > version of MSVC without proper support of 64-bit integers.
> >
> > I feel that VC6 support is a liability.
>
> The question is really: do we want to keep supporting C89 (long long
> is a C99ism).
>
> Leon

Yeah, but it's an *extremely* common extension found in many non-C99
compilers (including the later versions of Visual C++).