Re: [perl #132766] Recent changes to inline.h have broken VC6 buildon Windows

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
January 26, 2018 02:10
Re: [perl #132766] Recent changes to inline.h have broken VC6 buildon Windows
Message ID:
CAHhgV8j5d+cQSd+9GDpjGwBizmP_Wr6zYxAFaw-EbJCuMXBNbg@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:22 AM, Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

>> It seems that VC6 doesn't understand the "ULL" suffixes on numbers in
>> the chunk of new code in inline.h added by commit
>> 1d2af5744d75143cf7ee8bfd33d4366a95dd1b95 ("Avoid some branches").
>
> Do we really want to keep supporting VC6? That compiler is 20 years old,
> it doesn't work on modern Windows versions and I believe it's the last
> version of MSVC without proper support of 64-bit integers.
>
> I feel that VC6 support is a liability.

The question is really: do we want to keep supporting C89 (long long
is a C99ism).

Leon