Re: [win32] perl.h now defines INTMAX_C and UINTMAX_C

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
January 25, 2018 13:54
Re: [win32] perl.h now defines INTMAX_C and UINTMAX_C
Message ID:
CADED=K7U6rFjd62crU1tG+p+cZu6+ZJCru+rzzpqaOmh8wqw0g@mail.gmail.com
On 25 January 2018 at 12:51,  <sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Steve Hay
> Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:30 PM
> To: sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au
> Cc: perl5-porters@perl.org ; Karl Williamson
> Subject: Re: [win32] perl.h now defines INTMAX_C and UINTMAX_C
>
> On 25 January 2018 at 10:38,  <sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> Amending config_H.gc doesn't do the trick as the generated config.h still
>>> fails to define I_STDINT.
>>> (Actually,  the config.h that gets written initially at the beginning of
>>> the 'make' stage does define I_STDINT, but shortly into the build it gets
>>> overwritten with a rendition that does *not* define I_STDINT. I think I've
>>> seen somewhere that config.h gets written initially for miniperl, then
>>> subsequently rewritten for perl.)
>>>

>> Have you tried amending config.gc too? I think that's what the real
>> config.h used by perl is made from, if my cold-filled head remembers
>> correctly.
>

> No - I had done a case-sensitive search of the win32 directory for
> 'I_STDINT' and found only config_H.gc and config_H.vc.
> For some reason config.gc has to lower-case the symbol :-(
>
> Anyway ... defining I_STDINT/i_stdint in config_H.gc and config.gc  is all
> that's needed to get the saner result of having stdint.h define INTMAX_C and
> UINTMAX_C.
> And it also allows Math-MPFR-4.0 to build cleanly.
>
> I don't know what, if anything, ought to be done with config.vc and
> config_H.vc wrt I_STDINT.
> I'll leave that to people who actually use a microsoft compiler.
> I think stdint.h now exists on MS compilers (as of Visual Studio 2010 ?),
> but I know that wasn't always the case.
>
> Thanks Karl, Steve.

Yes, VC2010 added it (e.g. see
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt743084.aspx#Anchor_3) so
I've treated it in a similar way as I_STDBOOL in config_sh.PL - now
all fixed in commit 1a9ff134512968f758f5c3d9cf66b0cb30be4b4e.

Thanks for the report.