Re: [win32] perl.h now defines INTMAX_C and UINTMAX_C

From:
sisyphus1
Date:
January 25, 2018 12:52
Re: [win32] perl.h now defines INTMAX_C and UINTMAX_C
Message ID:
177C6F9698174ADBB98915EB8FE13AF9@OwnerPC311012

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Hay
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:30 PM
To: sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au
Cc: perl5-porters@perl.org ; Karl Williamson
Subject: Re: [win32] perl.h now defines INTMAX_C and UINTMAX_C

On 25 January 2018 at 10:38,  <sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> Amending config_H.gc doesn't do the trick as the generated config.h still
>> fails to define I_STDINT.
>> (Actually,  the config.h that gets written initially at the beginning of
>> the 'make' stage does define I_STDINT, but shortly into the build it gets
>> overwritten with a rendition that does *not* define I_STDINT. I think
>> I've seen somewhere that config.h gets written initially for miniperl,
>> then
>> subsequently rewritten for perl.)
>>

> Have you tried amending config.gc too? I think that's what the real
> config.h used by perl is made from, if my cold-filled head remembers
> correctly.

No - I had done a case-sensitive search of the win32 directory for
'I_STDINT' and found only config_H.gc and config_H.vc.
For some reason config.gc has to lower-case the symbol :-(

Anyway ... defining I_STDINT/i_stdint in config_H.gc and config.gc  is all
that's needed to get the saner result of having stdint.h define INTMAX_C and
UINTMAX_C.
And it also allows Math-MPFR-4.0 to build cleanly.

I don't know what, if anything, ought to be done with config.vc and
config_H.vc wrt I_STDINT.
I'll leave that to people who actually use a microsoft compiler.
I think stdint.h now exists on MS compilers (as of Visual Studio 2010 ?),
but I know that wasn't always the case.

Thanks Karl, Steve.

Cheers,
Rob