Re: Porting/bench -- utf8 to code point speed up

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
January 22, 2018 19:25
Re: Porting/bench -- utf8 to code point speed up
Message ID:
fb6d8ea8-4fe1-8177-7562-057ac6b2ecd0@khwilliamson.com
On 10/31/2017 05:47 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>> The total size of ./perl increased 100K bytes.  There were 98 calls in it
>> that got inlined; only 6 needed the full generality.
> Hmmm, that seems a bit excessive. I would be tempted to see what
> performance drop you get by not inlining the function, or only inlining
> it in a few critical places, or (if technically feasible) only inlining
> a smaller subset of the function.

I tried a non-inlined version, and get the attached results.  Again they
show a win in every case we care about,and the table could be modified
to give better results for larger code points.

The win isn't nearly as large as inlining.  The second attachment shows
the gain of inlining above and beyond the gain shown in the first
attachment.  We could decide to create an inlined version that the hot
code could call directly