Re: Moderation

From:
Aaron Crane
Date:
January 21, 2018 20:43
Re: Moderation
Message ID:
CACmk_tvmAOTOHasE0JfMp2A=wc-M07aU-GQkmEayRMVR30XVkw@mail.gmail.com
My fellow list members,

Please note that, as of commit
ef7498d2b69936a5c6476ecf1950066f638b2dac, the section of perlpolicy
relating to the standards of conduct has been updated. The following
substantive changes have been made, after discussion among the
moderators.

Firstly, as promised earlier, we have clarified that, by forwarding a
message to the list, the sender takes responsibility for the content
of the message in question.

Secondly, we have changed the policy regarding ban lengths.
Previously, third or subsequent instances of unacceptable behaviour
resulted in a ban twice the length of the person's previous ban. Under
the new policy, a third instance of unacceptable behaviour results in
a further warning, and a fourth instance results in a ban of
indefinite length.

Our rationale is that temporary bans are for the offender: to give
them the opportunity to change their behaviour in a way that aligns
with our community expectations. However, if the person in question
fails to take advantage of that opportunity, our focus must shift to
the community: we aim to protect other list members from having to
bear the burden of unacceptable behaviour.

Finally, we welcome Karen Etheridge and Todd Rinaldo as additional
moderators. I'd like to offer both Karen and Todd my personal thanks
for agreeing to serve.

The relevant section of perlpolicy, as revised, follows below.

=head1 STANDARDS OF CONDUCT

The official forum for the development of perl is the perl5-porters mailing
list, mentioned above, and its bugtracker at rt.perl.org.  Posting to the
list and the bugtracker is not a right: all participants in discussion are
expected to adhere to a standard of conduct.

=over 4

=item *

Always be civil.

=item *

Heed the moderators.

=back

Civility is simple: stick to the facts while avoiding demeaning remarks,
belittling other individuals, sarcasm, or a presumption of bad faith. It is
not enough to be factual.  You must also be civil.  Responding in kind to
incivility is not acceptable.  If you relay otherwise-unposted comments to
the list from a third party, you take responsibility for the content of
those comments, and you must therefore ensure that they are civil.

While civility is required, kindness is encouraged; if you have any doubt about
whether you are being civil, simply ask yourself, "Am I being kind?" and aspire
to that.

If the list moderators tell you that you are not being civil, carefully
consider how your words have appeared before responding in any way.  Were they
kind?  You may protest, but repeated protest in the face of a repeatedly
reaffirmed decision is not acceptable.  Repeatedly protesting about the
moderators' decisions regarding a third party is also unacceptable, as is
continuing to initiate off-list contact with the moderators about their
decisions.

Unacceptable behavior will result in a public and clearly identified
warning.  A second instance of unacceptable behavior from the same
individual will result in removal from the mailing list and rt.perl.org,
for a period of one calendar month.  The rationale for this is to
provide an opportunity for the person to change the way they act.

After the time-limited ban has been lifted, a third instance of
unacceptable behavior will result in a further public warning.  A fourth
or subsequent instance will result in an indefinite ban.  The rationale
is that, in the face of an apparent refusal to change behavior, we must
protect other community members from future unacceptable actions.  The
moderators may choose to lift an indefinite ban if the person in
question affirms they will not transgress again.

Removals, like warnings, are public.

The list of moderators will be public knowledge.  At present, it is:
Aaron Crane, Andy Dougherty, Karen Etheridge, Ricardo Signes, Sawyer X,
Steffen Müller, Todd Rinaldo.

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/