CPAN-river-1000: failures as of perl-5.27.8

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
January 21, 2018 18:24
Subject:
CPAN-river-1000: failures as of perl-5.27.8
Message ID:
20180121182352.32330.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
You may find data from a test run of the "CPAN-river-top-1000" against
perl-5.27.8 here:

http://thenceforward.net/perl/misc/cpan-river-1000-perl-5.27-master.psv.gz

The file above presents the data in the same format which I used for
5.27.6 and 5.27.7 in November and December.  What is essentially the
same data is presented in a slightly different format here:

http://thenceforward.net/perl/misc/xformat-cpan-river-1000-perl-5.27-master.psv.gz

Reviewing the data from 5.27.0 through 5.27.8, I came to realize that
certain CPAN distributions could fail to be reported on under certain
conditions.  See attachment 'moosex-getopt.psv', which extracts data for
MooseX-Getopt from the first link above.  Note that this distribution
lacks data for the most recent release, 5.27.8.  Why is that?

Hold that question for a moment.  Let's look at the second attachment,
'xformat-moosex-getopt.psv'.  Here, rather than have the last four
columns empty strings, we instead print a lower-case 'x' to those fields
to improve readability.

The reason why MooseX-Getopt lacks data for the most recent release is
that one of its prerequisites, Getopt-Long-Descriptive, began to
experience test failures against blead in the 5.27.7-to-5.27.8
development cycle.  Once it failed to install, none of its reverse
dependencies, including MooseX-Getopt could be attempted by 'cpanm', the
installer used in gathering this data, or by App::cpanminus::reporter,
the test reporting library in use.

The third and fourth attachments, 'getopt-long-descriptive.psv' and
'xformat-getopt-long-descriptive.psv', add data for that distribution.

The fifth attachment, 'changes-5.27.7-to-5.27.8.csv', presents another
subset of the data set found at the second link above.  It presents
results from just the last two monthly releases for those distributions
which either (a) had a change of grade between 5.27.7 and 5.27.8; or (b)
received a grade other than 'PASS' in 5.27.8.

Anyone who wishes to follow up on this data or help me
further develop analyses like this should contact me.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan