Re: regrepeat()

From:
Abigail
Date:
January 18, 2018 15:48
Re: regrepeat()
Message ID:
20180118155234.GB23899@almanda.fritz.box
On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 04:21:04PM -0700, Karl Williamson wrote:
> On 12/31/2017 4:13 PM, Andy Lester wrote:
>>> My question is, does this happen often enough in real life to justify the extra code?
>>
>> I'd bet that the case of the object of the + being a single character is the most common use of +, starting with things like s/ +$//;
>>
>> --
>> Andy Lester => www.petdance.com
>>

> Yes, but the issue is in the strings it matches, are there a lot of
> spaces in a row?  Only in that case is there a noticeable speed up

I think multiple spaces in a row is the most common in practise.

However, I also think most people would not write / +/, but /\s+/
to match a sequence of spaces.

Some questions:

  - What is the effect of this proposed patch if /a+/ is used, and it
    matches just one or two characters (or even fails to match?).

  - Can it still partially match a string of 'a'? "aaaaa" =~ /a+(?=..)/
    should match just three a's.

  - Is there any effect on modifiers? /a+?/, /a++/

Abigail