Re: An Open Letter to the Perl Community

From:
Zefram
Date:
January 18, 2018 03:24
Re: An Open Letter to the Perl Community
Message ID:
20180118032418.GA7031@fysh.org
Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
>https://www.perl.com/article/an-open-letter-to-the-perl-community/

The "Butterfly Perl 5" project is a non-starter until MoarVM and the other
proposed platforms provide C compilers.  Without a compiler there's no
way to port our large and complex C program.  There's no way we could
maintain a parallel implementation in another language, which is what
the use of NQP without a C-to-NQP compiler would entail.

The "CPAN Butterfly" project sounds worthwhile, but not as straightforward
as the letter suggests.  A Perl 5 API doesn't automatically work as a
Perl 6 API, due to differences in data types and calling conventions, and
even where a fairly direct translation is possible it often wouldn't make
an idiomatic Perl 6 API.  Some modules are very tied to the Perl 5 data
model and wouldn't make sense on Perl 6 at all.  But a lot of substantive
modules could be imitated in a higher-level way, by the application of
some intelligence.  In any case, this is quite irrelevant to p5p.

-zefram