Re: Urgent subroutine signatures problems

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
January 14, 2018 10:01
Re: Urgent subroutine signatures problems
Message ID:
5b3497c0-1361-3e7b-de0b-7fbe3a1aa813@gmail.com

On 01/13/2018 10:26 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> [2018-01-13T05:13:15]
>> Here is where I am at this point:
>>
>> * We could not come up with a satisfying change to signatures to fully
>> disambiguate it from prototypes. This means we will result to only be
>> able to use signatures under "use feature" or "use VERSION". Not fun but
>> at least it's consistent and provides syntax people are happy with.
> I always assumed that signatures would end up living in a versioned bundled.

Zefram raised this as something we could fix if we disambiguate
signatures syntax from prototype syntax. The squared signatures was such
an idea.

>> * The only way to support prototypes that affect signature compilation
>> (such as lvalue prototype) is by allowing prototypes on both sides. I do
>> not find the ability to put signatures before prototypes a compelling
>> enough reason for the work requires to support prototypes on both sides.
>> I also think it would create inconsistencies where some code would be
>> written with prototypes after and some with prototypes prior. Instead, I
>> think we will resolve to moving signatures again to be after prototypes.
> Do you mean "moving signatures again to be after attributes"?

Yes. Exactly. Sorry for the confusion of prototypes and attributes.