Re: Implementing script runs

From:
Zefram
Date:
January 2, 2018 14:21
Re: Implementing script runs
Message ID:
20180102142145.GF11996@fysh.org
demerphq wrote:
>Can you please put your objection in plainer terms,

I don't know how to make it plainer than it already is.

The issue is that syntactically "(*" is used for extensions that are
identified by alphanumeric identifier, whereas "(?" is used for extensions
that are identified by further punctuation.  The proposed use of "(+"
would mean that it duplicates the "(*" format, identifying extensions by
alphanumeric identifier.  This duplication is wasteful; I think we should
reserve "(+" for something that actually requires a distinct syntax.

>Maybe my intent was not clear, I dont think (+ should be restricted to
>script-runs ALONE.

That's not the issue.  "(+" is clearly not intended to be used for
script runs alone, but for an open-ended set of extensions.  However,
your proposal does involve restricting "(*" to a relatively limited set
of uses.

>But I do think restricting to (* to things that dont match, and/or
>change behavior of matching (which is true so far) and leaving (+ to
>new things that do match, is a pretty reasonable distinction.

If you want some syntactic cue to that distinction, better to make it
through capitalisation of the identifiers, a difference that we actually
already have.

-zefram