Re: smartmatch/switch deprecation for 5.28

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
January 1, 2018 12:21
Re: smartmatch/switch deprecation for 5.28
Message ID:
4b0789fc-e784-7328-f207-36b83edd7028@gmail.com

On 12/30/2017 06:18 PM, David Golden wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org
> <mailto:zefram@fysh.org>> wrote:
>
>     With smartmatch changes now reverted for 5.28, we need to decide
>     pretty soon whether, and in which parts, smartmatch and switch
>     should be
>     deprecated in 5.28.
>

> I have serious reservations.  The 'experimental' designation is a
> stronger 'may be removed anytime' statement than 'deprecated'.
> Applying a deprecation cycle to an experimental feature is bizarre.

It is bizarre. You are right.

> [...]
>
> If we want to keep smartmatch experimental and remove known bad
> behaviors -- and see if that breaks less stuff in the common cases --
> that might be a reasonable alternative, and shouldn't require a
> deprecation cycle.

This is what we have done and it caused enough of an uproar in the
user-base to require a different approach in this one particular case.
It is bizarre but taking a step back and trying a different way is the
most user-friendly thing to do here. I would opt for that than an
aggressive step. We have done then when we deemed it necessary before
and I prefer avoiding them when possible.