Re: smartmatch/switch deprecation for 5.28

From:
Eirik Berg Hanssen
Date:
December 30, 2017 19:33
Re: smartmatch/switch deprecation for 5.28
Message ID:
CAHAeAG7ZYNnjykWXT17Mj6ZSmYUz9LW6KviKSzJBcYBDhY_7jQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Elizabeth Mattijsen <liz@dijkmat.nl> wrote:

> > On 30 Dec 2017, at 18:16, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> wrote:
> > Leon Timmermans wrote:
> >> Why would our end-users want that?
> > They'd want a deprecation to give them notice to rewrite their code
> > for portability across the smartmatch change.  They'd want the process
> > of changing smartmatch to move forward so that they can get a language
> > feature that's coherent and usable and which p5p is willing to maintain.
>
> Isn’t the issue really that most people think the language feature is
> already coherent and usable enough for them to use in their code for over a
> decade?

  Most people?  I doubt even most Perl programmers think so.  (Or do you
have hard data?)

  Most users of the feature in question, perhaps.  But that smells of
selection bias ...

Eirik