Re: smartmatch/switch deprecation for 5.28

From:
Zefram
Date:
December 30, 2017 17:23
Re: smartmatch/switch deprecation for 5.28
Message ID:
20171230172338.GK19698@fysh.org
David Golden wrote:
>                                                       Applying a
>deprecation cycle to an experimental feature is bizarre.

It is indeed, but we just tried changing smartmatch without a deprecation
cycle, and the pumpking judged that it was causing too much pain.

>Are you suggesting that we make smartmatch no longer experimental,

No.  The entirety of smartmatch will still have experimental status,
for all that that's now worth, and the new smartmatch that follows
the deprecation will also be entirely experimental.  The deprecation
cycle is saying that *within the scope of the experiment* we're about
to change features D, E, and F.  There's some level of implication that
we're keeping features A, B, and C for the time being, but those features
are still subject to experimental status.

I think experimental status still influences how much we're willing
to change smartmatch, even if the "without notice" part is no longer
effective.

>If we want to keep smartmatch experimental and remove known bad behaviors

The problems with smartmatch go deeper than that.

-zefram