Re: smartmatch/switch deprecation for 5.28

From:
David Golden
Date:
December 30, 2017 16:19
Re: smartmatch/switch deprecation for 5.28
Message ID:
CAOeq1c_kxOUN6SD9qFbLpnqwwak8NoKbAv7yWcXhdO_pLmTCQA@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> wrote:

> With smartmatch changes now reverted for 5.28, we need to decide
> pretty soon whether, and in which parts, smartmatch and switch should be
> deprecated in 5.28.

I have serious reservations.  The 'experimental' designation is a stronger
'may be removed anytime' statement than 'deprecated'.  Applying a
deprecation cycle to an experimental feature is bizarre.

Are you suggesting that we make smartmatch no longer experimental, but
deprecate certain features of it?  I.e. clarify "we're keeping parts A, B
and C but we're deprecating D, E and F?"

If we want to keep smartmatch experimental and remove known bad behaviors
-- and see if that breaks less stuff in the common cases -- that might be a
reasonable alternative, and shouldn't require a deprecation cycle.

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> Twitter/IRC/GitHub: @xdg