Re: Revisiting smart match

From:
Tom Molesworth via perl5-porters
Date:
December 28, 2017 15:04
Re: Revisiting smart match
Message ID:
CAGXhHd=q3X-5K4w1cJi4HgQNCFA36sbuLg9EpqcNO-cevc_rjg@mail.gmail.com
On 25 December 2017 at 23:52, David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> wrote:

> I think it's generally accepted wisdom now (in several dynamic languages
> communities, not just Perl) that people should run applications using their
> own interpreter, not the system one.

Generally-accepted in some circles, perhaps, but I'd suggest it's by no
means a universal standard - for beginners especially, my experience is
that the system packages are seen as the safe option. My sample size is
small, but I find that most people use system Perl, and the same applies to
Python, node.js and bash.

>   So who suffers if a newer Perl breaks stuff?  People who don't follow
> the wisdom?  They can learn why it's a widely used pattern.  Sysadmins who
> have scripts they want to "just work" on newer OSes?  They're sysadmins...
> I expect them to be able to install their own Perl and use it if they need
> to.  Newbies?  They aren't using experimental features anyway.

Proliferation of Perls aside... I don't think that last one is a fair
assessment of the impact:

- if it's an old perl, this is *not* an experimental feature (as mentioned
a few times elsewhere).
- we were recommending given/when and smartmatch in the FAQ until very
recently.
- in my experience, "how do I check for a value in array" and "how do I
spell switch/case in Perl" seem to be common questions for Perl newcomers
which end(ed) up with a smartmatch-related answer.

"Very recently" includes Perl 5.26.1, which *explicitly recommends*
given/when in the current text:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfaq7.html#How-do-I-create-a-switch-or-case-statement%3f

Note that it does mention Switch.pm as being discouraged... yet makes no
mention of impending changes in newer Perl versions.

I think this can be taken as an authoritative learning source for Perl
programmers - it seems premature to change the feature when the
officially-sanctioned examples will break?

The standard recommendation for new features - e.g. async/await, which I am
very much looking forward to - seems to be "do it in CPAN, and if it's
popular or important enough, we can consider moving it to core". How
feasible would that approach be for either smartmatch, or some form of
switch/case? (I'm not convinced that the two concepts need to be so tightly
integrated as they have been so far - not that I'm a target user, since I
don't see much value in either of them in the first place).

Just to be clear, I don't agree with the stronger negative opinions either:
from my perspective the new smartmatch approach seems like a significant
improvement, and if we'd started with this I think it'd be a great addition
to the language.

thanks,

Tom