Re: Revisiting smart match

From:
Matthew Persico
Date:
December 26, 2017 17:42
Re: Revisiting smart match
Message ID:
CAL20dLBfrmLcN+kR2Him+0o031tgDyiKWZ+YDeoW11zQWNPWtA@mail.gmail.com
May I contribute my opinions from outside the echo chamber?

I'm 53. I've been using Perl since '98. I went to the Bronx HS of Science,
the Cooper Union, and I've worked in finance for the last three decades. In
short, I am not rocket scientist, but I'm not a script-kiddie either. On an
IQ bell curve, I'd like to think that I fall *somewhere* on the right hand
side, even if it is at the top of the arc.

I have never heard or read the words whereis and whereso in my entire life.

That as my initial reaction. I've seen *wherefore*, but only in the context
of those stupid Foo Day proclamations from your local government.

And the more I think about it, over the last hour of preparing a response
to this thread, I still can't recall their use.

Try looking them up in Merriam-Webster on line. 'whereso' comes up as
archaic. 'whereis' comes up as the idiom 'put your money where your mouth
is'.

If Perl is about making easy things easy and hard things, possible, then
these keywords fail. Spectacularly. For a US citizen. Imagine someone whose
first language is not English.

Can we chose some other keywords? I don't need to give the Pythonistas
around me some REAL ammunition against me in my daily defense of the Perl
language and its philosophy and we are not supposed to be the
'ooooh-let's-see-how-comp-sci-clever-we-can-be' folks. I can easily see all
the good work in trying to straighten out the smartmatch mess being drowned
out in ridicule over the choice of keywords.

Thank you

--
Matthew O. Persico