Re: [perl #132577] BBC Module::Install broken by0301e899536a22752f40481d8a1d141b7a7dda82

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
December 25, 2017 10:46
Re: [perl #132577] BBC Module::Install broken by0301e899536a22752f40481d8a1d141b7a7dda82
Message ID:
926c5138-3293-2afa-01ed-98f708a411d2@gmail.com

On 12/25/2017 10:29 AM, Zefram wrote:
> Sawyer X wrote:
>> perhaps we could provide temporary warning for now?
> You mean... a deprecation warning?

Yes.

> Technically, if we revert perl_parse() to return zero for exit(0),
> it is feasible for this to detect that perl_run() would do something
> if called, and thus to warn that this bogus zero return matters.
> Thus using an early exit(0) with the intent that INIT blocks or the main
> program subsequently run could be deprecated.  It's not feasible to do
> the same for perl_run() bogusly returning zero, or for perl_parse()
> bogusly returning zero when the subsequent use the caller makes of
> the interpreter would be something other than just calling perl_run().
> But we haven't seen any breakage of those kinds (yet).  For the purposes
> of pure Perl code such as Module::Install, as opposed to arbitrary C
> level embeddings, the feasible deprecation is sufficient.

Wherever we can warn here instead of die, it is better. Where we cannot,
we already have a large enough list of breakages to churn through. We
could try again later when the list has been reduced.