Re: [perl #132577] BBC Module::Install broken by0301e899536a22752f40481d8a1d141b7a7dda82

From:
Zefram
Date:
December 25, 2017 08:29
Re: [perl #132577] BBC Module::Install broken by0301e899536a22752f40481d8a1d141b7a7dda82
Message ID:
20171225082936.GR19698@fysh.org
Sawyer X wrote:
>perhaps we could provide temporary warning for now?

You mean... a deprecation warning?

Technically, if we revert perl_parse() to return zero for exit(0),
it is feasible for this to detect that perl_run() would do something
if called, and thus to warn that this bogus zero return matters.
Thus using an early exit(0) with the intent that INIT blocks or the main
program subsequently run could be deprecated.  It's not feasible to do
the same for perl_run() bogusly returning zero, or for perl_parse()
bogusly returning zero when the subsequent use the caller makes of
the interpreter would be something other than just calling perl_run().
But we haven't seen any breakage of those kinds (yet).  For the purposes
of pure Perl code such as Module::Install, as opposed to arbitrary C
level embeddings, the feasible deprecation is sufficient.

-zefram