Re: Urgent subroutine signatures problems

From:
Zefram
Date:
December 25, 2017 06:04
Re: Urgent subroutine signatures problems
Message ID:
20171225060407.GN19698@fysh.org
Dan Book wrote:
>Sorry if I missed it, but is there any reason not to only allow all
>attributes before the signature (as presumably it originally was)?

That is indeed the obvious and simple solution, and it is still the
only solution we've seen that's entirely satisfactory in how it treats
attributes semantically.  The reason why we're not jumping straight to
this solution is that many people disliked that syntax the first time
round and insisted on changing it in the manner that turned out to
introduce this bug.

There's a forlorn hope that someone might have a miraculous idea that
fixes the semantics without changing the syntax back.  Failing that,
it remains to be seen to what extent knowledge of this bug and related
issues changes the views of people who called for signatures to precede
attributes the first time.

-zefram