[perl #132651] commit d2e38af7 exhausts swap space on FreeBSD

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
December 25, 2017 02:47
Subject:
[perl #132651] commit d2e38af7 exhausts swap space on FreeBSD
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-10079-1514170074-963.132651-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  James E Keenan
# Please include the string:  [perl #132651]

This afternoon while conducting a smoke test run in my normal manner on
FreeBSD-11.0, I noticed that I was getting messages on STDERR saying
"swap_pager: out of swap space".  I would then get another message
indicating that the kernel was killing a particular perl PID.

I had never seen such messages before in this VM.  Since I had to go out
to a family dinner, I didn't have time to diagnose or correct the
problem.  When I came back six hours later, I saw that I had gotten
failures in 3 of the 4 variants within the smoke test run in this file:
./dist/PathTools/t/cwd_enoent.t.  (http://perl5.test-smoke.org/report/61071)

I had never seen problems with this file before (but, as it turns out,
that's in part because it's a brand new file).

Usually when I have a test failure in one of my FreeBSD smokers, it's
due to an intermittent resource constraint and I can get a PASS on the
file by running it manually.  However, when I tried to do that here, I
got an endless stream of the following on STDERR:

$ cd t;./perl harness -v ../dist/PathTools/t/cwd_enoent.t; cd -
pwd: .: No such file or directory # <-- endlessly until Ctrl-C

This output appears before any other output from the test file.  Indeed,
I never got to see any other output from this test file.  I have
reproduced this problem in:

* the perl-current directory of my smoke test rig on FreeBSD-11.0;
* in a blead of build in my regular git checkout on FreeBSD-11.0;
* in a blead of build in my regular git checkout on FreeBSD-10.3;

The errant file was only committed to blead earlier today:

#####
commit d2e38af7de734aa1e317de7166c6995e432e2f30
Author: Zefram <zefram@fysh.org>
Date:   Sun Dec 24 11:09:54 2017 +0000

     correct error returns from _perl_abs_path()
#####

The commit should be reverted ASAP and tested in a branch on various
OSes until its problems are well understood.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan