Resolving tickets should generally use pending release

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
December 19, 2017 18:24
Subject:
Resolving tickets should generally use pending release
Message ID:
ba6f30a8-aef5-a08b-3ddb-d7923bb42681@khwilliamson.com
This is a reminder that if you close an RT ticket against Perl, the
resolution should by default be 'pending release' instead of 'resolved'.
  There are exceptions, but it's better to err towards using 'pending
release'.  So if you don't want to be bothered to do more than one type
of resolution, always make it 'pending release'.

There are several reasons.

One is that it's generally untrue that the issue has been resolved.  It
won't be actually fixed for someone not in our development community
until the next stable release is available.  The message sent out is
arrogant and off-putting, something like, "According to our records this
issue has been resolved".  (When I get this, it makes me think I'm on
trial, and am getting off on a technicality.)  They get this message
when the ticket is finally resolved at release time, but they also get a
message thanking them and noting that the fix is available now, which
encourages them to upgrade.  It also tells how many other issues have
been fixed (moved from pending-release to resolved) which gives an
indication that the new version is better than the old in other ways as
well.  The higher the number of these, the better.

Pending release also makes it easy to track how many bugs we fixed this
release, and publicize that so we get full credit in the press for
fixing them.

IMO the only place not to do pending release is if you know that the bug
is only in the current development release and has never been in a
stable one.  But rather than spending the time doing the research on
this, just mark it pending release instead.

One could argue that we might mark as resolved tickets that were
actually fixed in an earlier release and we didn't know it.  But we
didn't take credit for fixing them then; might as well take credit now.