Re: Revisiting smart match

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
December 19, 2017 03:31
Re: Revisiting smart match
Message ID:
CA+vYcVzvGx+mc6mXG4QC_j-M9ahjrDU21y_b7iPNF_w=J=BTqA@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> wrote:
> Craig A. Berry wrote:
>>whereas($input) {
>
> That's poor.  Per English meaning, the operand of "whereas" should be
> a condition, not a value,

That is simply wrong.  At the beginning of a sentence it introduces a
given truth upon which there may be qualifying or contrasting
sub-statements.  Which is perfect for what's under discussion here.

> so it's totally unsuitable for this role.
>
>>        whenever ($_ eq "string") { die "A" }
>
> "whenever" has unhelpful temporal connotations.

No more so than "when."

>>        whenas ($matcher)      { die "C" }
>
> This doesn't read naturally.

Not a Robert Herrick fan ("Whenas in silks my Julia goes...")?  OK,
it's archaic, so do suggest something better.