Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
December 18, 2017 15:43
Re: Request For Context - about the 5.22->5.24 context stack rework
Message ID:
e95f4346-1165-9a79-6ffb-6c8da241c621@gmail.com

On 12/18/2017 12:37 AM, David Nicol wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com
> <mailto:xsawyerx@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     One of the points I was subtly trying to imply is that I think that in
>     some cases it might be an unfair burden to put on you or other module
>     authors.
>
>     If your code needs more than what the language has to you without
>     having
>     to bend over backward to make it work (and to provide
>     compatibility when
>     it inevitably breaks), we should revisit it. One option is to give up
>     and say "We can't provide this cleanly. Implement it however you
>     want at
>     your peril." We can say this, but it feels like the last resort,
>     merely
>     admitting we can't or uninterested in offering what you need. Another
>     option is to add the APIs you need cleanly. The problem with this is
>     that we might corner ourselves having to maintain support for
>     something
>     that might be in the way of something in the future. The third
>     option is
>     also raised here, which is to core some of it - or perhaps all of it.
>

> Another possibility would be to promulgate a strong recommendation
> that when extensions extend core, they
> should do so by implementing a maintainable proposed draft API in core
> and independent code that uses said API.
>
> Paul has done exactly that, submitting his two hooks for inclusion in
> core.

I think this is a good idea and could allow - to respond to Leon's here
at the same time - the follow-up to core inclusion.